If you would like an electronic copy of the new Science Fair Guidelines, please click here.
Summer Camp for Gifted Students
Pompano Beach High School will be hosting a two-week camp this summer for 150 gifted and intellectually talented children.
Gifted students who are entering grades 3 through 7 for the 2014 - 2015 school year are eligible to apply. For more information, please click here.
Dr. Osgood and Pastor Marcus Davidson would like to invite you to an FCAT Fellowship on April 13 as they prepare the children spiritually for the FCAT. This event is open to everyone who will like to support creating opportunities for children to grow.
Child Abuse, Abandonment, and Neglect
To learn more about the signs of child abuse, abandonment, and/or neglect, please click here. According to the Florida Department of Education, "Anyone who knows, or has reasonable cause to suspect, that a child is abused, abandoned, or neglected must report such knowledge or suspicion to the Florida Abuse Hotline." Click here for more information.
Academically Challenging Curriculum to Enhance Learning
In accordance with 1002.3105 of the Florida Statutes, all Broward County Public Schools must provide educational options that provide academically challenging curriculum or accelerated instruction to all eligible K-12 students and inform parents and students of these options. As defined by this legislation; Academically Challenging Curriculum to Enhance Learning (ACCEL) options must include:
· whole grade and mid-year promotion
· subject matter acceleration
· virtual instruction in higher level grade subjects
· a high school Credit Acceleration Program (CAP) via End of Course Exams (EOC)
In addition, each school, at the principal’s discretion, may offer additional acceleration options designed to meet the unique needs of their student population.
ACCEL options offered at Mirror Lake Elementary (MLE)
Academically Challenging Curriculum Enhance Learning (ACCEL) options offered at Mirror Lake Elementary (MLE) have established the following criteria:
1. Students who meet criteria for promotion based on Policy 6000.1 is given the opportunity to participate in
Virtual School in the subject area(s) that are currently offered while attending MLE.
2. Students that have been identified as Gifted using the district criteria and/or work beyond grade expectations by a minimum of at least one year, and have the social/emotional development necessary to be successful, will be placed in a higher grade level in the subject area(s) that meet the criteria for promotion based on Policy 6000.1.
Click here, to see that Mirror Lake is in compliance with P.L. 107-110, Section 119(i) regarding qualifications for teachers and paraprofessionals.